Saturday, August 23, 2008

5 Peaks- Kananaskis 12k Trail Race

Today I ran my first trail race in a while. I haven't actually done a pure running intensity or workout in quite some time. As part of the Salomon trail team this year, I thought I would scope out one of the 5 peaks races before we head into our third training camp tomorrow afternoon.

The race was held at the base of the Delta lodge/Ribbon Creek trail system. Consisting of all double track trail, this was a pretty amazing course. Oh and not to mention in one of the most beautiful venues, it is still so hard for me to comprehend that I live here and the mountains are in my back yard.

With some music pumping we headed out for the 12 km trek. Lately I've been working on not going out quite so hard and saving a little for the end- or atleast not redlining at 1km in. The race climbed for 3.5 km from the start- so I had to practice a little self control. I would say I was successful in holding back, but I still have some work to do in pacing as panic sets in when I can hear others breathing behind me.

Then we had a sweet downhill (3km) bombing back down approximately to where we started and then took a sharp left and headed out for some more gradual climbing coulpled with some short steep climbs to add a little bit of an insult (haha). There was another awesome downhill section before we headed for home.

I finished 1st and then 10th overall. 55min at altitude with a ton of climbing. I think it is a pretty good time, its hard to tell?! Don't compare it to the road thats for sure!

To top it all off I tried out the new salomon Speed cross 2, they have a pretty narly tread on them! I would say these are sweet for racing, but you might want something with a little more cushioning for training such as the xt wings shoe!

I feel like I am in pretty good shape now, for sure some work to do, but I'm happy with where my fitness is.

ciao
xb

No comments:

ABOUT ME:

I love the mountains, the snow and the inspiration and motivation they give me to pursue my athletic and life pursuits!